Friday, July 23, 2010

Thank You

I met him on a train to Delhi from Amritsar. It was a long 9 hours journey. Being brought up in military family, I can quickly identify a person if he is from Army or not. He was a Madrasi in Amritsar, so this guess was like a toffee. I saw my watch and thought about ways to kill next 8 hours. The very thought compelled me to start a conversation with him, sitting beside me. We were traveling in a general sitting compartment so it was quite obvious that he belonged to a lower rank. "What is your battalion?" I asked. Surprised but comfortable he answered," 47."
I was looking more like 'chikna'(cleaned-shaved) Delhi guy with good education. My neat Hindi even made him believe that I was from Delhi. He described, like any other constable's story,his part of story how he got into the Indian Army. Feeling of nationalism and doing something for the country fooled him for this day. An army where no one cares about his opinions, his family problems, and his emotions. "But they say one has to sacrifice somethings for doing such a great job for the nation," I said to make him feel good. "If it is the case, then why do those officers are not making any such sacrifices, why no one sees their corruption, why we have to responsible for any wrong doing of them" he backfired. I had no answer, I nodded in yes by keeping my mouth shut, may be because I didn't want to add any more petrol. I took a glance over my wrist watch and was happy to see only 3 hours left. I thought about changing the topic and wisely took it to the current education system that he said his children were victim of. He had saved 1 Lakh over last 2 year and saving each year for the higher education of his two children. Worried over the thought that how these small saving will pay for the education of his children in long run, I advised him to look into the option of education insurance. Now I had gained a lot of his confidence and sympathy, he looked convinced that I was a wise person.

I could see the filthy slums and smell foul smell from drains. There was no need to ask anyone- Bhaisaab Dilhi aa gaya?(Have we arrived at Delhi?). Well, I could not get any moral message from my 9 hrs of journey to tell you , so won't you, I believe, after wasting your time to read 300 words. But one thing did really made my journey special, it was the 'Thank You' from his side at the station.

No comments:

Post a Comment